Thursday 16 April 2020

His only duty is to keep her safe, but he can't save her... #FlashbackFriday A Snippet from #ReadersFavorite Book 1 in the Always Cambridge Saga - On #Sale for Only #99cents

Romantic Suspense, Mafia Romance, Saga  


Caught up in a bitter blood feud with a rival crime family and unable to bear the violence that claimed her mother, Holly Cambridge sets out to right her father's wrongs, but instead she embarks on an epic journey of love, loss, and life-altering choices, only to discover a truth she's feared all along... Mob life is forever

The book that started it all, book 1 in the Always Cambridge Series is only .99¢ for a limited time. 

This story is a true saga, following Holly from the age of nine, through her violent teen years, and eventually into her forties. Each installment starts where the last leaves off. The violence and sexual content amps up in later installments, reflecting Holly's age as she matures and circumstances change.
Our lucky heroine also has a trio of formidable men who weave their way in and out of her tumultuous life. Randy Phillips, her beloved body guard. Special Agent, Alex Orton, from the FBI, and surprisingly of all, Victor Mayhue, the son from a rival crime family. 




See what readers are saying on Goodreads

Awesome Reviews like this one...

I would not have enjoyed reading Running if I hadn't taken the time to get to know the main character in Always Cambridge. I would not appreciate how much she has evolved as a young adult if the author had not so meticulously laid out the events that made up her formative years, childhood through teen years. It was really amazing to see her character develop from a scared, unsure and wounded teen-ager in Always Cambridge to the strong and courageous young woman in Running. And she is a true heroine. She has so many character traits that are lacking in this genre. A very real, very endearing combination of insecurities and bravado, sensuality and naivety, duplicity and at the same time more integrity than any of her male counterparts... To read the entire review click HERE

Or check out one of my all-time favorite reviews from Pages2BigScreens
https://www.pages2bigscreens.com/blog/always-forever-a-family

"I could see this on Lifetime as a 3-part series movie. The dynamic of the story is realistic and heart-wrenching, I cried, I laughed, & I loved throughout this entire saga—"

The Always Cambridge Series chronicles the life of Holly Cambridge through her tumultuous childhood and violent teen years and the consequences that stem from being the daughter of mob boss, Bill Cambridge.  
* * * * 
      Always Cambridge, book 1

Holly Cambridge is just a typical kid, or so she thinks, until one day, she takes a good look around and realizes her friends don’t have bodyguards dogging their every step.

At the age of sixteen, Holly is assigned a new bodyguard, Randy Phillips. He is a tall, muscular, God-like force in the young, impressionable and lonely girl’s life. He is her friend, her confident, her conscience, and the older man she adores beyond reason.

Randy Phillips is fully aware of his young charge’s adolescent crush on him. Although he is flattered by the adulation, he maintains a safe distance and professional demeanor until Holly is wounded in a rival family blood feud, and the course of both their lives is changed forever.


I hope you enjoy the following extract. A little set-up — after the Cambridge family is threatened by the Mayhue's, a rival crime family, Bill Cambridge is on high alert, and sends Holly to school with bodyguard, Randy Phillips in tow. 


His only duty is to keep her safe... but he can't save her

I rambled on. “…and Mrs. Johnson, the cafeteria lady, said that fifty cents from every sale would be too much, that they already spend more than they make off it. So I haggled with her. So now a quarter from every sandwich sold today will be donated to the food bank. I will just match it. She doesn’t have to know that, though, and the school will get the credit. I think I might try to get the same deal going next Christmas for either the toy drive or the hospital.” Randy nodded as if he were really listening to me but I knew his focus was more so on the people around us.


"Always trying to save the world, aren't ya, Hol." His cell phone vibrated in his pocket. “I’ve gotta get this.” 


“‘Kay. I’ll get you a sandwich. Roast beef?” A pitfall from spending so much time together lately, we knew each other’s preferences, likes and dislikes. Embarrassingly enough, he even seemed to know my cycle.  


“Yeah, whatever. Stay where I can see you. Phillips,” he answered. 


I stood in line and paid for our sandwiches. When I turned back around Randy was not alone. Two other suits had appeared. They weren’t dressed in Armanis, though. They were in t-shirts and jeans, donning denim jackets like Randy. Blending, I assumed. I sighed and rolled my eyes waiting for whatever was going to happen next. I didn’t approach them. I knew they would stop talking as soon as I drew near.  


“Somethin’ goin’ on?” Reed Cranston, from fourth period math, appeared at my side. 


“Looks like," I said.


“Wanna sit with me till they’re done?” 


“Sure. Thanks.” 


We sat down at an empty table. I started to eat my sandwich. Both Reed and I watched the men at the back of the caf, like they were on TV. 


“You gonna eat all that?” Reed asked, inspecting the tray full of food.  


“No, it’s for Randy,” I said, not paying attention to anything but Randy


“You got the Jones for him, don’t ya?”  

I frowned. What I had for Randy, I did not like being referred to as the Jones. What I felt for him was deep, lasting. Yes, I lusted after him too, I was sixteen-years-old, for crying out loud, and he was an older man and gorgeous and dangerous to boot, but it wasn’t what Reed had just made it sound like. I wanted his love, his soul, his always.  


“I like him, yes. He’s good to me. But he’s way older than us. And he’s only here to look after me, protect me. Nothing more. He’s just doing his job.” 


“Well, duh. I know he’s older than us. Isn’t that what you girls dig? Older, dangerous guys.” '


“I’d settle for the least dangerous guy in the room, if you could find me one. But then again, as soon as he hooked up with me, he’d either be in danger himself because he was with me, or he would have to join my family just to keep himself alive.” 


“Some guys would make that sacrifice for you, Hol.” 


I looked at him, surprised by his answer. “And drag someone else into this? Someone I cared about? No. It’s not worth it. I’m not worth it.” 


“Don’t say that, Holly. You are worth it…” Reed started to say. 


Randy interrupted us. “Hol, I need to speak to you.” He placed his hand on my shoulder. “Reed,” Randy nodded cordially to my schoolmate.

“Mr...?” Reed began to greet him.


“It’s just Randy.”


“Randy,” Reed repeated and imitated Randy’s grown-up nod.


I said good-bye to Reed as Randy led me outside. The other suits gathered around.  


“I have to leave,” Randy began. 


I didn’t want him to go, I was instantly scared. “Where are you going? Has something happened?” I slipped my hand into his. I knew the other guys watched, but I didn’t care. 

“It’s nothing dangerous, Hol.” He squeezed my hand to comfort me. And it didn’t seem to bother him to hold my hand in front of them either. “Just a computer glitch at home, they want me to fix it. But I need you to let these guys tail you this afternoon.”  


I wasn’t comfortable with the look in his eyes. It felt almost like he didn’t trust them with me. It was like he didn’t want to leave me either, that he wanted to be in two places at once. 


“Can’t I just come with you? You know I can fix the computer faster than you can anyway.” I didn’t mean it as an insult. It was the truth. We both knew it.  


“Smart mouth,” he laughed. “No, your dad wants you to stay in school today since you missed so much time last week. You just promise me that you’ll keep near the guys all afternoon. Don’t go anywhere without them. Same rules apply as if I was here.” 


“I won’t.” 


“Be a good girl, Holly and I’ll see you at home after school.” He gave my hand another little squeeze and then he released it. “Behave, ‘Kay?” he repeated.


“‘Kay. But I need to go see Mrs. Small at the food bank after school today, don’t forget.” 


“Ah, shit.” He raked his hair making it spike. “I’ll try to be back before that.” 


“Alright, but if you’re not I’ll just see you later. I won’t ditch them. I promise.” I wanted to reassure him, he seemed so uneasy. And I felt strange. Like I didn’t want to be away from him. Not that I was afraid for myself. I wasn’t. I was worried about him. I almost wanted to tell him I loved him before he pulled away.  


Randy turned to Jeffy and Dale. “Don’t let her out of your sight. She goes to the can, you go too. Got it.” 

I wanted to die. 


They both smirked at Randy. “Yes, Sir, Mr. Cambridge.” Jeffy laughed and sent Randy an insolent salute.


“Piss off,” Randy said, as he got in the car. He gave me one last look and he waved as the car pulled away.  

 * * *
Just before the bell rang at three o’clock, I received a text from Randy. He wouldn’t be back in time to go to the food bank with me. 

So Jeffy, Dale and I piled into the car.


"Did you pick up our bounty, Trenton?" I asked as I buckled in.


"You bet, Holly-girl." Trent sent me a wink through the rear-view mirror.


"Thank you. You're the best."


“Trent tells me you do this every week,” Dale said as we drove from the grocery store towards Mrs. Small’s.  


“Mmmhmm. Every little bit helps, especially this time of year. Everyone loves to give around Christmas and the holidays, but as soon as those are over, people seem to forget the need is still there. The food bank is always in dire need of help.” 


“It never occurred to me to give stuff to the food bank. Ya taught me somethin’.” 


I smiled. “There are so many charities that do good things. I’m hoping to get into a program they have at the hospital where you can read to sick children or feed patients in palliative care. Now that I’ve turned sixteen, they’ll have to consider my application.” I had applied once before, but there was an age restriction. 


The two men exchanged a look. I didn’t really care what they thought. It sounded like a great thing to me.  


“You really aren’t like your sister at all,” Jeffy said. 


I didn’t know what to say to that so I didn’t say anything. It was not the first time I’d heard that comment recently. 


When we got to the food bank I started to get out of the car, then I hesitated waiting for Jeff and Dale to do a sweep of the area, like Randy always did before he let me get out. But they were already at the back of the car. I heard the click when Trent hit the trunk release. So I got out to join them and help take the boxes and bags of food inside. 


The men milled around by the car and waited for me as I helped put the cans away. 


“Where’s your young man this week?” Mrs. Small asked as we worked companionably, side by side. 


“Randy’s not my young man.” I blushed furiously.


“But you wish he was.” Her eyes twinkled as she teased.


There was no use denying it. “Well, who wouldn’t,” I said. “He’s beautiful.” 


“Yes, he is, dear,” she agreed. “He looks like he cares for you, too.” 


“He’s paid very well to care for me.” I really wanted to change the subject. “Wow, it looks like your stock is as depleted as it was last week when I was here.” 


“Yours was the only donation we received last week. And luckily you brought extras. Things ran short quickly. People always want to give at the holidays, they never worry about after.”


“Oh, Mrs. Small, why didn’t you call me? Don’t let that happen. I hate to know that people came in for help and got turned away.” 


“It’s not an easy thing to turn people away. But I can’t ask you to give more than you can. More than you already do,” she explained. 


“I’ll call the store, Mrs. Small, and have them send some things over. Do you have a list of the things you need most?” 


“Oh, you’re and angel, Holly, I’ll get it.” 


I continued to stock cans when I heard a car back fire. 


Then it sounded like fire crackers going off in rapid succession. 


Out on the street someone screamed.


I heard Trenton yell my name from outside the door. “Holly! Get down!” he roared. 


“Oh, no, dear God, no!”


Just then, Mrs. Small reappeared, list in hand, looking confused. 

“Get down!” I yelled, and dove at her. 


A fiery pain sliced through my upper arm as I tackled Mrs. Small. In my haste and panic we knocked into pantry.


Above us, the shelf of cans began to sway.


The shelf toppled over, sending the heavy tins raining down on us.


Another sharp pain ripped through the back of my head.


My vision tunneled...


If you enjoyed this excerpt and want more, click HERE, for the dramatic continuation of this chapter, yet from Randy's perspective! (just remember the next excerpt is from an older flashback post and the deals over there have expired)

Here's a tease!


"Randy!"

Patrick appeared in the doorway of Cambridge’s office. I’d been sitting here all goddamn afternoon trying to figure out what was up with the computer system when all I wanted to do was get back to Holly. It was times like these that I realized I still had a lot to learn. Maybe I should have let her come with me. She would have diagnosed the problem and had it fixed by now. And she’d be with me and I wouldn’t be worried about her. I rubbed the back of my neck again trying to brush away the cold feeling.

“Randy! They’ve been hit.” 

“Shit! Which patrol?” I asked still distracted. When Paddy didn’t answer right away I looked to where he stood in the door. He was pale and I could see him trembling from where I sat. 

“Jeffy and Dale,” he answered gravely. 

A cold hole punched into my chest. “Holly?” 


He nodded once. “They’re all down.” 

click HERE, for the dramatic continuation


Always Cambridge Book 1 is on sale for .99¢ at eXtasy Books

The rest of the series is also on Sale HERE
30% savings

I have some freebies too, Deets over HERE at Pick a Genre Already
Adult content

Take care. Stay safe and well, my friends
Kymmie
  💜🌷




No comments:

Post a Comment